Ravioli (1760)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Apr 15 23:37:41 UTC 2002

LETTERS FROM PORTUGAL, SPAIN, ITALY AND GERMANY
IN THE YEARS 1759, 1760, AND 1761
by Christopher Hervey
London: J Davis
in three volumes
1785

   Another citation to bridge the gap between OED's "raviol" (1611) and "ravioli" (1841).

VOLUME ONE
Pg. 267 (May 24, 1759):  The Spaniards reckon it one of the first cities in the world, and tell you that who has not seen _Sevilla_, has not seen _Meravilla_, or a wonder.

Pg. 391 (October 1, 1759):  Our landlord welcomed us to the _hotel_ as he termed it...

VOLUME TWO
Pg. 12:  ...the Portuguese had manned, to use a sea term, that means their having spread all the sailors about the yards...

Pg. 99 (February 7, 1760):  After the soup in came the olio, or as the Spaniards write it olla, which is merely a Spanish term for boiled meat, that word signifying a pot, _continens pro contento_.

Pg. 439 (October 27, 1760):  Our food consisted in some macaroni, raw ham, boiled beef, or _bouilli_, and some other stewed dishes of I do not know what, except that among them there was a dish of ravioli, or cheese made into a pudding.

VOLUME THREE
Pg. 399 (September 1, 1761):  In short, his rage mounted to such a pitch, that I do not believe he would have attempted to save what little of the _sherbet_ (the Italian name, _sorbetto_, for iced things,) was yet untainted, if I had not reminded him of it.