"The Bends"

Mark A Mandel mam at THEWORLD.COM
Tue Apr 16 21:11:28 UTC 2002

On Tue, 16 Apr 2002, Douglas G. Wilson wrote:

#I am sure that "get bent" is functionally a euphemism for "get
#f*cked/buggered". I think I started hearing this about 1966, myself. My
#casual speculation might be that "bent" originated as an alteration of
#"banged" (= "f*cked"). I don't think it's the same as the slang adjective
#"bent" = "crooked"/"homosexual"/"not straight".

What about a derivation from "bent" as in "bend over", as in BOHICA
"bend over, here it comes again" = "you're about to get screwed again"?

-- Mark A. Mandel
   Linguist at Large