basque/Basque/bask

FRITZ JUENGLING juengling_fritz at SALKEIZ.K12.OR.US
Wed Apr 17 19:53:47 UTC 2002

I have never heard any other pronunciation than [baesk].  I never would even have thought that another pronunciation existed.  There is a large group of Basques here in Oregon (as well as in Nevada).
Fritz

>>> lynnem at COGS.SUSX.AC.UK 04/17/02 07:43AM >>>
--On Wednesday, April 17, 2002 10:40 am -0400 "Johnson, Ellen"
<ejohnson at BERRY.EDU> wrote:

> had to look 'basque' up in the dictionary. seems to be what I would call
> a bodice. Basque with back vowel sounds somewhat affected/ hypercorrect
> to me, an attempt at hispanization to be more correct, when the truly
> politically correct term would be Euskera.

Hm, I find this interesting, because I've always heard Basque with a back
vowel, even in my politically incorrect hometown (where I learned at 14
that 'No outsider has ever mastered the Basque language' --according to my
high school French teacher).  It would never have occured to me to
pronounce it with an /ae/.

Lynne

Dr M Lynne Murphy
Lecturer in Linguistics
Acting Director, MA in Applied Linguistics
University of Sussex
Brighton BN1 9QH
UK

phone +44-(0)1273-678844