Source of Indian Anecdote

Arnold Zwicky zwicky at CSLI.STANFORD.EDU
Thu Apr 18 03:31:38 UTC 2002

dave wilton writes:
 >If memory serves, it's from the title page of "1066 And All That" by
 >W.C.  Sellar and R.J. Yeatman, 1930, Methuen & Co., Ltd.

 >One of the authors was listed as "Failed M.A., Oxon." Unfortunately,
 >I can't find my old copy. I have a 1993 edition, but that doesn't
 >include the original title page so I can't verify any of this.

my 1958 reprint has the original title page reproduced:

1066
AND ALL THAT
A memorable history of
England

Comprising all the parts you can
remember, including one hundred
and three _good_ things, five _bad_
kings, and two _genuine_ dates

By WALTER CARRUTHERS SELLAR
Aegrot: Oxon:

and ROBERT JULIAN YEATMAN
Failed M.A., etc., Oxon

Illustrated by
JOHN REYNOLDS, Gent:

[centering of lines not reproduced here]

wonderful book.

but i too recall a story involving an indian fellow
with cards reading "M.A. Oxon. (Failed)"  [i'm pretty
sure it was Oxon. and not Cantab.]

arnold (zwicky at csli.stanford.edu)