Puttanesca

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Apr 18 19:16:30 UTC 2002

A couple of older puttanescas:  the Times Living Section had two
discussions in 1980, one from a restaurant review by Mimi Sheraton
(8/8/80) that provides no details but presupposes readers'
familiarity with the dish and one from a Craig Claiborne column
(9/24/80) that leads readers through the creation of a version of it.
Note the reference to "the traditional decades-old concept":
===============
How about spaghetti alla puttanesca, that traditional dish whose name
translates somewhat quaintly into spaghetti whore's style.

  You can use the identical marinara sauce but to it you add basil,
oregano, dried hot red pepper, capers, black olives and anchovies.
The sauce will be more substantial and certainly ''different.'' I
would digress briefly and state that I did not ''invent'' spaghetti
alla puttanesca; I used the traditional decades-old concept and
concocted my own version of it.
larry