More weird sportscasterese ("More than enough")

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sat Apr 20 00:53:02 UTC 2002

At 5:21 PM -0400 4/19/02, Robert Fitzke wrote:
>Another odd usage by sportscasters is referring to time in terms of mony,
>e.g, a minute and a half left is a"buck and a half on the clock". And the
>similarity between time and money is goofy; a buck has a hundred cents, a
>minute has 60 seconds.

This one we discussed a few years back.  There were a lot of nice
examples that should be searchable (under "buck and a half") on the
ads-l archive.

[addendum after a bit of hard disk investigation]

Goodness--February of 1995!?  Can that be right?  I suppose so.  And
it looks like it might have been Dennis Baron and/or I who kicked off
the thread.  If anyone's interested and can't find it in the archive,
I can attach it to them.

Larry

On this one, I'd wager (a buck and a half, anyway) that it arose
because the sportscaster can use that extra second or two to identify
the player in question--probably most obviously in football or
basketball or hockey rather than baseball, where there's enough time
and space to figure out the individual likely to be involved in the
play without needing to check their uniform number or name on the
back of the jersey.

larry