Fwd: Pet names

Gerald Cohen gcohen at UMR.EDU
Sat Apr 20 18:35:50 UTC 2002

  Here's another interesting message from the American Name Society
(below my signoff). BTW, I don't have the pertinent reference books
handy, but I thought that the full form of "Sam" ("Samuel", Hebrew:"
Shmuel") derives from the Hebrew imperative plural of the root "SHM"
(= hear, listen) and "el" (= God). I don't know the full etymology of
"Samantha." And how many people would know that "Sam" and its
variants ultimately refer to hearing/listening?

Gerald Cohen