Plattdeutsch <snip> (1677)

James A. Landau JJJRLandau at AOL.COM
Sun Apr 21 18:02:18 UTC 2002

In a message dated 04/20/2002 11:50:45 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
Bapopik at AOL.COM writes:

> AN ACCOUNT OF SEVERAL TRAVELS THROUGH A GREAT PART OF GERMANY
>  by Edward Brown
>  London: Benjamin Tooke
>  1677
    <parsnip>
>  Pg. 144:  I had now left the _pure German language_ behind me, for at _
> Magdeburg_ comes another kind of _German_, called Plat-Deutsch, Broad
Dutch,
> Nidersachsitche, or the _Language of Lower Saxony_...
>  (OED has 1814 for "Plattdeutsch"--ed.)

Isaac Newton used the phrase "Low Dutch" in a letter written in 1670.   See
_The Correspondence of Isaac Newton_ edited by H. W. Turnbull and J. F. Scott
(Cambridge England: The University Press, 1959) vol I page 33.

       - James A. Landau