Ipsiphobic? Not quite.

Mark A Mandel mam at THEWORLD.COM
Mon Apr 22 02:46:33 UTC 2002

On Sun, 21 Apr 2002, Duane Campbell wrote:

#Xenophobic is having negative reactions to people who are different. What
#would be the opposite, rejection to one's own culture? Ipsiphobic is a
#the closest I can come, but that would be rejection of one's self, not of
#one's native culture.

"-phobia" is Greek, so my morphological esthetic leans toward a Greek
prefix if possible, another strike against Latin "ipsi-". Greek "oikos"
'house' comes to mind, but that's not precise enough, and its commonest
form in English would yield "ecophobia": not what you want, with
productive "eco-" having been totally absorbed by 'ecology'!

However, the same page of my Abridged Liddell & Scott shows me the
related (Ionian) "oikia":
        a house, dwelling
 II.    a household; also the inmates of the house, Lat. familia.
 III.   a house of family from which one is descended

So we can derive "oikiophobic". The word isn't pretty, but by that third
definition it means what you want to mean, and it can't be mistaken for
something else.

-- Mark A. Mandel
   Linguist at Large