Christian

Joanne M. Despres jdespres at MERRIAM-WEBSTER.COM
Mon Apr 22 21:18:41 UTC 2002

On 20 Apr 2002, at 10:50, Michael Newman wrote:

If I was uncharitable (or Orwellian), I'd say that evangelical
protestants have essentially hijacked the term because it of the
implication that they are the true Christians.

My own experience suggests that there may be something to this
hypothesis.  I once accompanied a friend to an evangelical service,
and remember the preacher's repeated assertion that the members
of his particular sect were Christians, while members of other
nominally Christian sects were hypocrites.

Of course, I'm sure we've all been raised in the One True Faith.

Joanne Despres
Merriam-Webster, Inc.