Chicago & "Chicago of the East" (Budapest)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed Apr 24 03:56:05 UTC 2002

   When I visited Budapest in 2000, I posted that my driver/guide said that a rough section of town was called "Chicago."  It was pointed out here that "Chicago"/Budapest dates from the early 1900s and pre-dates the Al Capone era.
   However, it's even earlier than that...I hate to do any more for a town that's been so unkind to me, but whatever.

ON THE RHINE AND OTHER SKETCHES OF EUROPEAN TRAVEL
Philadelphia: J. B. Lippincott & Co.
1881

"Danubian Days" by Edward King
Pg. 322:
   The beautiful and costly modern buildings on every principal street, the noble bridges across the vast river, the fine railway-stations, the handsome theatres, the palatial hotels, would explain to him why it is that the citizens of Pesth speak of their town as the "Chicago of the East."  There was a time when it really seemed as if Pesth would rival, if not exceed, Chicago in the extent of her commerce, the vivacity and boldness of her enterprises and the rapid increase of her population.