I hate "quotes"

Mark A Mandel mam at THEWORLD.COM
Sat Apr 27 16:00:15 UTC 2002

On Sat, 27 Apr 2002, Thomas Paikeday wrote:

#Me too! Especially manual quotes using two fingers of both hands. I have
#been trying to figure out why exactly and in what context such speakers
#resort to the manual device. Any literature on the subject or websites?

No cites, but a thought. I think the purpose -- anyway, the purpose that
I would accept as legitimate! -- is to make it clear that you're not
using the word in the way you normally would, or not applying it
according to your own opinion, but rather as someone else would, perhaps
the person you are indirectly quoting.

A made-up example:

Jack's off in another tearing rage. He said he was disgusted with the
Selectmen's vote last night, and he's going to fire off another letter
to the editor about this <fingerquote> scam </fingerquote>.

-- Mark A. Mandel