Puttanesca (1969)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Apr 28 00:58:42 UTC 2002

   "Japanese lass sexy pictures" also baffles me.  I'm on AOL, so all I've been getting recently are 17-year-olds with farm animals.
   But I digress--on to Italian streetwalkers.
   Bonnie Slotnick has a shelf of very good Italian cookbooks, but I didn't find anything in the 1950s.  I could look through my Clementine Paddleford columns from the 1950s, but that's too time-consuming right now.

ITALIAN REGIONAL COOKING
by Ada Boni
Bonanza Books, NY
1969
("This material was first published in slightly different form in _Arianna_.")

Pg. 212 (Naples-Campagna):
_Spaghetti "alla Puttanesca"_
_Spaghetti with Chili_
olive oil (US and UK measurements given--ed.)
garlic
tomatoes, peeled and chopped
capers, or to taste
black olives, pitted
hot chili pepper
finely chopped fresh oregano
pepper
salted boned anchovies
parsley, finely chopped
spaghetti
salt
The literal translation of this recipe is "as a prostitute would prepare spaghetti", _puttanesca_ being a vulgar work for prostitute.

(Alas, the recipe was not found in Sophia Loren's cookbooks--ed.)