Edam (1778); War-Room (1768)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Apr 29 03:05:42 UTC 2002

EDAM

THE GRAND TOUR:
OR, A JOURNEY THROUGH THE NETHERLANDS, GERMANY, ITALY, AND FRANCE
by Thomas Nugent
Third Edition
London: J. Rivington and Sons
1778

Pg. 152:  EDAM. (...)  'Tis here they make those excellent cheeses that have a red crust, and by some are little less esteemed than _Parmesan_; in which, and in ship-building, they have a considerable trade.
(OED and M-W have 1836 for "Edam."  Is this in the first edition?--ed.)

WAR-ROOM

TRAVELS THORUGH GERMANY
by Thomas Nugent
London: Edward and Charles Dilly
1768

VOLUME ONE
Pg. 121 (The town-house of Lubeck--ed.):  From hence I was introduced to the War-room, as it is called, where they shewed me some old armour, with a variety of paintings, or rather daubings, of no curiousity or value.
(OED's first "war-room,: in any sense, is 1914--ed.)