Pumpernickel (1766)

Benjamin Fortson fortson at FAS.HARVARD.EDU
Mon Apr 29 22:21:00 UTC 2002

Happy to oblige, Larry; here's a translated version of their entry:

"(since 17th century) First used of 'ration-bread', then narrowed to refer
to northern Westphalian whole-grain rye bread (as a mocking term from
elsewhere; the native term is Schwarzbrot ['black bread', BF] or grobes
Brot ['coarse bread'; when I lived in Westphalia all I heard was the
former term, BF]). As a term of abuse, the word is even older (as a term
for a coarse boor?); the extension of meaning to the bread similar to that of
Armer Ritter [lit. 'poor knight', a fritter, BF], etc. Nickel is a
shortening of Nikolaus; Pumper probably a regional word for 'a fart'."

Various references follow, which I'll send along if desired.

Ben