pass out

Mark A Mandel mam at THEWORLD.COM
Fri Aug 2 17:03:41 UTC 2002

On Fri, 2 Aug 2002, Jesse Sheidlower wrote:

#>   It is unclear whether the crew realized that Allen was
#>   unconscious when they reported that he had "passed out."
#
#I do find this a little odd too, but perhaps this means "It is unclear
#whether the crew realized that Allen was _still_ unconscious..." i.e,
#the crew may have thought that he had briefly passed out but was then
#revived, when in fact he passed out and remained unconscious.

Ah, that's a possibility: attaching the when-clause to "was unconscious"
rather than to "realized".

Anyway, I've emailed the Globe to ask *them* what they meant. I don't
expect anything more than a robotic Thank.you.for.your.letter-
we.don't.publish.everything.we.receive-
here.are.some.Globe.email.addresses

-- Mark A. Mandel