query on croatian sausage, paviticas-

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Aug 2 18:09:37 UTC 2002

>There's a kind of sausage called cevapcici [tSEvaptSitSi], which hails from
>the former Yugoslavia, I'm not sure which republic.  I used to eat it at a
>restaurant in Vienna called Bosna, so obviously it was a part of Bosnian
>cuisine, but it may be also, or even originally, Croatian.  It was also
>popular elsewhere in Eastern Europe.
>
>Peter Mc.

Hey, I've had that, under the same pronunciation (assuming
second-syllable stress) but maybe a different spelling, in Serbian
restaurants in Milwaukee.  I guess there the spelling would depend
which transliteration from the Cyrillic had been used, and they may
have used a different one just to make it look less Croatian
(although that was back in the 70's, when there was still a
Yugoslavia and we were still allowed to call the language
Serbo-Croatian).

Larry