Wet Fries

Peter A. McGraw pmcgraw at LINFIELD.EDU
Fri Aug 2 20:59:25 UTC 2002

--On Friday, August 2, 2002 4:13 PM +0000 "James A. Landau"
<JJJRLandau at AOL.COM> wrote:

>> Wets or wet fries are pretty standard NJ diner fare.
>
> Maybe in North Jersey, but I've never met "wet" (or even "dry") fries
> here in South Jersey.  Nor have I ever in South Jersey met a "sloppy joe"
> that was not barbecued ground beef.

I wonder if it's migrating south (from...?).  Before moving from New Jersey
about 12 years ago, I used to eat fairly often in a diner in Milburn
(suburban NYC), and I don't recall ever hearing the term "wet fries."  I'm
pretty sure I would have noticed something as strange-sounding as that on
the menu.

Peter Mc.

                               Peter A. McGraw
                   Linfield College   *   McMinnville, OR