Cliquer

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Sat Aug 3 12:35:58 UTC 2002

 From the Web (whole-word capitalizations mine):

Bitte KLICKEN Sie auf die gewünschte Sprache
Please CLICK the language of your choice
Veuillez CLIQUER sur la langue de votre choix, s.v.p.
Go-kibô no gengô wo KURIKKU shite kudasai

Amazing that cognates are found not only in German and English and French
but also in Japanese. Perhaps from a common ancestral language 10,000 years
back? Or maybe borrowed from Romanian, or from some other language? (^_^)

"Cliquer" does appear in the old French-Latin dictionary on the Web, from
1606, translated "crepitare", more or less = "make
noise"/"rattle"/"crackle". The modern Academy dictionary equates the
obsolete verb "cliquer" to  "retentir"/"résonner", more or less = "resound"
I guess. I don't find it in the Academy dictionary from 1694; I suppose it
was already obsolete then.

Review of equivalents in several (mostly Romance) languages:

http://www.tele3.net/dicoinfo/CDICO8.HTM

... I am mystified by the putative Canadian-English equivalent "flush".

-- Doug Wilson