Fun

sagehen sagehen at WESTELCOM.COM
Sat Aug 3 17:19:33 UTC 2002

Anne G.,quoting Matthew G., quoting /The Onion,/ quoting Safire:

"This, of course, is a grievous grammatical
> blunder, akin to saying 'passerbys' or, worse yet, the dreaded 'attorney
> generals.'"
~~~~~~~
I wonder about this example.  I have heard the US Atty General addressed as
"General."  This may or may not be the proper form (my undrstanding of
protocol is pretty hazy), but if it is, it suggests that in this case,
General is the noun and Attorney is the adjective,  and, of course,
"attorney generals"  would be right!
A. Murie