Fun

Anne Gilbert avgilbert at PRODIGY.NET
Sat Aug 3 18:57:27 UTC 2002

> I wonder about this example.  I have heard the US Atty General addressed
as
> "General."  This may or may not be the proper form (my undrstanding of
> protocol is pretty hazy), but if it is, it suggests that in this case,
> General is the noun and Attorney is the adjective,  and, of course,
> "attorney generals"  would be right!

Technically(in a "grammatical" sense) "attorneys general" is "correct",
which is the sort of thing Safire is worried about.  The problem is, that I
rather doubt anybody actually *says* "attorneys general" any more(if they
ever did). I keep hearing things like "attorney generals".  But that's
another story.
Anne G

---