Dreidle & Latkes (1916)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Aug 5 20:57:01 UTC 2002

   My previous "dreidel" citation was 1920.  Merriam-Webster has 1926 and OED has 1934.
   OED and Merriam-Webster have 1927 for "latkes."
   From THE JEWISH CHILD, 22 December 1916, pg. 4 (it reads page 2, but it follows page 3):

(ILLUSTRATION CAPTION--ed.)
A CHANUKAH DREIDLE

(Col. 1--ed.)
   "When I was a little boy in Russia," began Grandpa, just as she was hoping he would, "we didn't have such toy menorahs.  The Chanukah toy we played with was the 'dreidle,' which is a kind of top."
(Long, four-paragraph explanation follows--ed.)

(Col. 2--ed.)
   Out would come our "dreidlach"--and the candy and fruit and pieces of honeycake we had brought from home or else bought (Col. 3--ed.) for our "Chanukah gelt"!

(Col. 3--ed.)
   He would have to threaten that we should have no Chanukah "latkes" at supper before we could really manage to control ourselves and behave nicely.  No one wanted to miss the "latkes"!