"Hot Dog" errors on morning tv

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Aug 6 03:04:27 UTC 2002

   This is from LEXIS-NEXIS UNIVERSE, transcripts.
   Remember that whatever is said on American morning television is true and cannot be corrected.  Gerald Cohen or Allen Metcalf/David Barnhart can try, anyway.

GOOD MORNING AMERICA
July 8, 2002
"Great American Hot Dog Taste Test"

CHARLES GIBSON (host):  And when did they start in this country at ballparks?
SARA MOULTON (food editor):  Well, in the late 1800s.  But when they first came over in the 1800s, the German immigrants, they also brought over the dachshund, hence the name hot dog.  Maybe the dachshund, the dog, the whole thing put together.  I don't know, there you go.
GIBSON:  Is that really where it came from?
MOULTON:  Yeah.
GIBSON:  Ah.

CBS SUNDAY MORNING
July 28, 2002

(Footage of dachshund races; photograph of dachshund dressed as a hot dog)
SCOTT PELLEY (host)(Voiceover):   By the way, calling the sausages "dogs" likely began in Germany, home of the dachshund, and yes, the name does refer to their appearance, not the ingredients.
(...)
GEORGE SHEA (of Nathan's):  There is no doubt in my mind, and I--and I challenge any historian anywhere to prove me wrong, hot dogs were invented in Coney Island.

(Actually, Mr. Shea, "clams" were the popular dish on Coney Island up until the 1890s.  Feldman's began serving "hot sausages" in the late 1870s.  "Frankfort sausages" can be found on the MOA database from 1861.  And the name "hot dog" was first used at Yale University in the 1890s--any historian, who's never been on tv)