..happy endings..

GSCole gscole at ARK.SHIP.EDU
Tue Aug 6 22:20:14 UTC 2002

In late May, in Lewes, Delaware, a massage therapist, when asked what
she did toward ensuring her security on house calls, said that "for one
thing, I don't do happy endings."  She further noted other security
precautions.

In a Google search, I found only a few references in which 'happy
endings' is used in place of 'massage with release'.  I classify the
phrase as slang.  Most Google listings of 'happy endings' are in
reference to the endings of movies and other stories.

There is at least one Google reference to a situation in which there was
some confusion over the usage of the phrase (in the name of a
restaurant), and the misunderstanding drew the attention of legal
authorities.

In a newspaper column by Maureen Dowd, titled Grainy film doesn't make
it any cooler, which appeared in The Patriot-News (Harrisburg, PA), on 6
AUG 2002, on p. A9, col. 5, there is a reference to a movie by Steven
Soderbergh.  Dowd writes "One of Soderbergh's plot lines, a massage with
a 'happy ending,' was already featured on two HBO shows, Larry David's
and 'Mind of the Married Man.'"

I presume that Dowd's column appeared in an earlier issue of the New
York Times.
==================

Other words of possible interest, in the same column are:

tadpoling -- older women dating younger men.

porn name -- creating a name by using your middle name or pet's name and
the name of the first street you lived on

I'm not saying that any of the above words or phrases are new, although
one seems to have a very limited usage, but they were new to these
sheltered ears in the land of Hershey.

George Cole
Shippensburg University