Hamantash vs. Latkes (was Dreidle & Latkes (1916))

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Aug 7 00:51:29 UTC 2002

At 8:56 AM -0400 8/6/02, Steve Kl. wrote:
>On Mon, 5 Aug 2002, Laurence Horn wrote:
>
>>  I couldn't find "hamantash(en)" in the OED or AHD4 at all.  (So what
>>  are we supposed to nosh when we merry merry be?)
>
>Hamantasch was added to the American Heritage College Dictionary, 4th
>ed. (and it will be added to the deluxe 'when production processes
>allow').

Nice to hear.  I'll be interested to see whether Haman figures in the
etymology.

>Each year at U of C there are the hamantaschen/latke debates.
>
>I was doing something with the latke entry and I naturally looked up
>hamatasch and found it missing, so of course I had it added.

Such debates must be a world- (or at least nation-)wide phenomenon.
Three relevant treatises that were not presented at Chicago:

======
Shapiro, Judith (1990)  Latke vs Hamentash:  A Feminist Critique.
Unpublished paper, Bryn Mawr College.

Leidner, Robin (1994)  Latkes vs Hamentash:  A Materialist-Feminist
Analysis.  Unpublished paper, U. of Pennsylvania.  Posted at
http://user.uniserve.com/~hostrov/latkes.html by Hilary Ostrov, March
1995.

Horn, Laurence (1998)  Latke and Hamentash, Apple and Snake:  Towards
a Hermeneutic Geometry of the Body.  Paper presented at EELS 17.5,
Philadelphia.
=======

larry