Hamantash vs. Latkes (was Dreidle & Latkes (1916))

Barbara Need nee1 at MIDWAY.UCHICAGO.EDU
Wed Aug 7 03:13:49 UTC 2002

>On Tue, 6 Aug 2002, Laurence Horn wrote:
>
>#>Each year at U of C there are the hamantaschen/latke debates.
>
>Is that C for California or Chicago? The late, much-missed Jim McCawley
>ran something of the sort in Chicago, and wrote a hilarious paper on
>them.

He may have done the latter (though I have never seen it), he certainly did
not do the former. The debates (which take place just before Thanksgiving)
are moderated by a professor in Philosophy and, I believe, sponsored by
Hillel.

Barbara Need
UofC--Linguistics