..happy endings..

Wed Aug 7 16:22:07 UTC 2002

In a message dated 8/6/2002 8:30:04 PM, laurence.horn at YALE.EDU writes:

<< >In late May, in Lewes, Delaware, a massage therapist, when asked what
>she did toward ensuring her security on house calls, said that "for one
>thing, I don't do happy endings."  She further noted other security
>precautions. >>

My only informant--a massage therapist licensed in the state of
California--tells me that a happy ending is a euphemism for manual (such as
happened in one of the sessions depicted last season on SIX FEET UNDER,
though the term was not used on the show) or oral manipulation (if possbile,
to climax) of the client's genitalia at the end of a massage. He does not do
happy endings, either, at least not for pay. Among San Francisco massage
therapists the term is said to be widely believed to have originated with
female Chinese or Viet Namese massage professionals.