Junk Fax, Fax Broadcaster; No help for the lexicographer

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Aug 8 14:05:30 UTC 2002

JUNK FAX, FAX BROADCASTER

   Not new terms, but it's the first fine of a "fax broadcaster."  From AP
and CNN.com:

'Junk faxes' spur record #5.4 million fine
The fine against Fax.com is the FCC's first against a "fax broadcaster."

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Federal Communications Commission issued a record fine
of nearly $5.4 million Wednesday against a company for sending "junk faxes"
to businesses and consumers.

The fine against Aliso Viejo, California-based Fax.com is the largest ever by
the commission for violations of the Telephone Consumer Protection Act. The
law protects against unsolicited faxes, telemarketing calls and prerecorded
messages, among other things.
(...)
The fine is also the FCC's first against a company known as a "fax
broadcaster." According to the FCC, Fax.com sent advertisements and other
messages on behalf of more than 100 businesses for a fee, sparking 489
violations.

NO HELP FOR THE LEXICOGRAPHER

BTW:  Yes, that should be Calamity W. Jinx.  PUCK and LIFE were both from
NYC.  If the citation in COMMENTS ON ETYMOLOGY was LIFE, then that's the
correct humor publication.

   These past few weeks must be a record on the lexicography non-response
front.
   For example, I e-mailed the San Francisco Public Library and asked if they
had a menu collection, or a menu for Bernstein's Fish Grotto in particular.
No response.  This was not a particularly difficult question.  They
ordinarily respond within two days.
   I e-mailed the Boston Public Library (using its own form) and asked about
menu collections in the BPL and the Boston area.  No response.  They noramlly
respond within two days, also.  I didn't feel that these questions were
particularly difficult.  I didn't intend them as "stumpers."
   I e-mailed ten potato people about "jojo potatoes" and got back one
response.
   I e-mailed the Yiddish Book Center at Hampshire College in Massachusetts.
I told the Center that I was interested in cookbooks and book chapters
involving food.  No response.
   I e-mailed Craig Kilborn's LATE LATE SHOW and told him that one of the
"five questions" asked of him was wrong--the westernmost capital of Europe is
Reykjavik, not Lisbon.  No response. OK, that was television.  They're
required to get things wrong and not respond to the public.
   But seriously, what do I do?  E-mail the Yiddish Book Center again?  Go to
the Boston Public Library and San Francisco Public Library with guns?