No help for the lexicographer

Mark A Mandel mam at THEWORLD.COM
Thu Aug 8 15:15:31 UTC 2002

On Thu, 8 Aug 2002 Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:

#   These past few weeks must be a record on the lexicography non-response
#front.
#   For example, I e-mailed the San Francisco Public Library and asked if they
#had a menu collection, or a menu for Bernstein's Fish Grotto in particular.
#No response.
#   I e-mailed the Boston Public Library (using its own form) and asked about
#menu collections in the BPL and the Boston area.  No response.
#   I e-mailed ten potato people about "jojo potatoes" and got back one
#response.
#   I e-mailed the Yiddish Book Center at Hampshire College in Massachusetts.
#I told the Center that I was interested in cookbooks and book chapters
#involving food.  No response.

It's August. Everyone's gone on vacation. The Boston librarians are out
in the Berkshires (where Hampshire College is), the Hampshire folks are
in SF, and the SF people are in Boston... but none of them are able to
answer each other's mail. And the potato people are either on vacation
or busy with the crop.

Wait till next month. Allow extra time at the Yidishe Bikher Tsentrale
[transliterated off a souvenir key fob] because of the High Holy Days.

-- Mark A. Mandel