Greetings!

M M language_scholar at YAHOO.COM
Thu Aug 8 20:28:34 UTC 2002

I see that I should have included more info in my
previous e-mail.  I live in Minnesota and am going
into my second year of college.  I've been studying
linguistics on my own, but I really don't know much
about how to go about getting a formal linguistics
education.  As of right now, I'm planning to start
linguistics with my M.A.  Does that work, or would it
be a lot better for me transfer to get a B.A. in
linguistics?  My main interests are dialectology and
sociolinguistics, though I also enjoy historical
linguistics (especially English).  I've nearly
completed a German minor, and I've been attempting to
teach myself a few other languages in my free time.
Because I'm fairly new to this, I'm still trying to
soak up information from all areas of linguistics
before focusing exclusively on one.

I realize that I'm very naive, but any help anyone can
give me to point me in the right direction is very
much appreciated.

Thanks,

Maia