"mucho mahalos," "talk story," etc.

DAK buchmann at BELLSOUTH.NET
Fri Aug 9 03:12:03 UTC 2002

The following is a forward from Lehn Huff:

I found this email to be most interesting.

(l) I haven't heard "much mahalos" as much as "mucho mahalos"  The "mucho
mahalos" could be a contemporary pidgin combining influences from the
portuguese and puerto rican groups in our state who immigrated to Hawaii in
the late 1800's/early 1900's.

(2) I haven't heard the HMSA commercial.  I can't imagine them saying
"we just talk stories..." Maybe they got a mainland advertising firm to help
them make up the commercial.  I've always heard this expression said as
"talk story", NOT "talk story".  Example: We jus' talk story all day long.
(This could be present or past tense.  If it is past tense it is either said
exactly like the present tense in which case it is the pidgin imperfect
tense or it is said, "We jus' wen' talk story, " which means it is the
pidgin simple past, a completed past action..)

(3) "Hanai" is a verb, a noun, or an adjective.