"soda" in Minneapolis

Dan Goodman dsgood at VISI.COM
Fri Aug 9 04:49:47 UTC 2002

> Date:    Mon, 22 Jul 2002 21:16:49 -0500
> From:    Millie Webb <millie-webb at CHARTER.NET>
> Subject: Re: soda 1, pop 0 -- Minneapolis, Minnesota
>
> That is just strange, Dan.  I never hear a native say "soda", but it
> appears on a sign every once in a while.  Usually a formal sign
> created elsewhere and brought in for the occasion (like at the State
> Fair, on the food booths that travel the country to different Fairs,
> and don't use the "right" word for Pronto Pup).  :-)

The CARAG neighborhood has a lot of people from elsewhere.  But that
sign was made by a child; if she was originally from a "soda" area, I
would've thought the other kids would laugh at her for not saying
"pop" enough times that she would be aware of "pop" being the local
term.  And among the volunteers running the event, and the attendees,
nobody seemed to think it was odd.

Perhaps you're in a part of the Twin Cities metro area with a higher
percentage of native Minnesotans?  The difference in usage might be
the linguistic equivalent of microclimates.

The signs at SuperAmerica stores say "soda".  I suspect that "soda"
was the usual term where SuperAmerica's original headquarters were.

Here's something I find strange:  when I slip up and say
"stringbeans" rather than "green beans," I'm understood.

 ----- Original