"soda" in Minneapolis

M M language_scholar at YAHOO.COM
Fri Aug 9 06:20:25 UTC 2002

Here's my area of expertise!  To earn money for
college, I've been working at the local Arby's and
Subway in my fairly rural Minnesota town.  I never
heard the word "soda" used for pop in normal
conversation between native Minnesotans until this
summer.  About 20% of customers order soda rather than
pop!  I have yet to figure out this phenomena.

Maia