"soda" in Minneapolis

Anne Gilbert avgilbert at PRODIGY.NET
Fri Aug 9 16:31:58 UTC 2002

Maia:

----- Original Message -----
From: "M M" <language_scholar at YAHOO.COM>
To: <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Sent: Thursday, August 08, 2002 11:20 PM
Subject: Re: "soda" in Minneapolis

> Here's my area of expertise!  To earn money for
> college, I've been working at the local Arby's and
> Subway in my fairly rural Minnesota town.  I never
> heard the word "soda" used for pop in normal
> conversation between native Minnesotans until this
> summer.  About 20% of customers order soda rather than
> pop!  I have yet to figure out this phenomena.

One of the advantages of supporting your science fiction while working in a
retail store is, you hear all kinds of "language" being spoken.  I'm from a
(mostly) "pop" area --- Seattle and the Pacific NW --- too, but I hear a
small but significant portion of the population referring to "soda".  But
then, a lot of people living in the Pacific NW come from somewhere else.
Anne G

---