Bad Writing

Mark A Mandel mam at THEWORLD.COM
Fri Aug 9 16:38:15 UTC 2002

On Fri, 9 Aug 2002, Paul McFedries wrote:

#Actually, Wallraff's column (written with her usual hard-to-fathom
#crankiness) appeared last Sunday:
#
#http://www.nytimes.com/2002/08/04/magazine/04ONLANGUAGE.html

That URL produces no article, but a demand for ID, password, and a lot
of the kind of information that is used to target spam (plus ad-stuff;
this is already edited down):

   Please enter your Member ID:

                   _________________________

   Please enter your password:
                   _________________________
   Log In          [_]

   Remember my Member ID and password on this computer.[1]
   Forgot your password?
   [b_left.gif]   [bottom.gif] [b_right.gif]

   [one.gif]
   [spacer.gif]

   Choose a Member ID:
   _______________

   Choose a password:
   (Five character minimum)
   _______________

   Re-enter your password for verification:
   _______________

   E-Mail Address:
   ______________________________

   [_] Remember my Member ID and password on this computer

   [spacer.gif] [two.gif]

   We'll keep your information private.  The following fields are
   required. NYTimes.com respects your [2]privacy, so we will never share
   any personal information without your consent.

   Gender:
   Year of Birth:
   (_) Male (_) Female
   19 __ (Click [3]here if you are under 13)
   Zip Code (U.S. Residents Only):
   Country of Residence:
   _____ [----Select One----........................]
   Household Income Range:
   Industry in which you work:
   Job Title:
   Job Function:
   Please select your usage of The New York Times newspaper:

        <<<

-- Mark A. Mandel