Bad Writing

Rick H Kennerly Rick at MOUSEHERDER.COM
Sat Aug 10 10:58:09 UTC 2002

|o|
|o| That URL produces no article, but a demand for ID, password, and a lot
|o| of the kind of information that is used to target spam (plus ad-stuff;
|o| this is already edited down):

Well, you've got to pay one way or the other.  In this case, giving up a bit
of information gains one access to an excellent reference source. If one is
not willing to pay cash per view/article then the sponsor is obliged to sell
ads on the site or harvest and sell your e-mail address.  The other
alternative is to visit the archives of the nearest library, which has it's
own costs.   I'm in the web development field, and the costs of setting up
and running a first-class, 24-hr, database driven news archival system are
imposing.  It's been interesting to watch the various models develop, but
it's been difficult to make any of them pay.

If you're really concerned about spam, I'd suggest setting up a hotmail or
similar account and using that e-mail address to deflect the junk mail to.

rhk