JOLTS; NYU food collection

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Aug 11 18:30:40 UTC 2002

JOLTS--From the Sunday NEW YORK TIMES, 11 August 2002, sction 10, pg. 1, col. 1:  "Known as JOLTS, for job openings and labor turnover..."  Why JOLTS and not JOLTs or JOLT?  JOLT, or Job Opening-Labor Turnover, has been in existence since at least 1969.  "JOLTS" would appear to be an error.  Doesn't anyone at a major newspaper read over the copy anymore?

MATRUSHKA--The 1893 fair catalogue had the thing as just a "doll," in "peasant style."  No name for it in 1893.

SF & BOSTON MENU COLLECTIONS--Gerald Cohen got a response (not me, of course) from the San Francisco public library.  No menu collection; no menu for Bernstein's fish grotto.  I had searched for "menu collection" on Google, but just thought I'd ask SF...The Boston public library finally responded.  They don't have a menu collection.  I was told to seek out the Radcliffe Library.  Yeah, I know about that.  Just asking.

BULLPEN & BULLDYKE & BULL RUN--There was a whole lot of "bull" in the Civil War. "Last ditch" was very popular at this time.  Perhaps someone used "dyke" for "ditch," and the term is similar to "bullpen"?  I'll check the Civil War database in a minute, but the NYU librarian who has to hand me the CD is nowhere to be found!

BROWNSTONE FOOD COLLECTION IN NYU'S FALES LIBRARY--It looks like this won't be available for quite some time.  See the message below...Was that NYU's George Thompson I saw posting here?  Could it be?
   From e-mail response, and notice that quotation at the end:

Thanks for your query about the Brownstone collection. We hope to have the pamphlet materials available by mid October. The book collection is vast and it will take us several years to catalogue. Work will begin on it in the Fall. Please contact me in early October and I'm pretty sure we can provide access to the pamphlets for your research.

Sincerely,

Marvin J. Taylor
Director, Fales Library and Special Collections
New York University
70 Washington Square South
New York, NY 10012
ph. 212.998.2596