"Bargaining Chip": Antedating & Mystery

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Mon Aug 12 01:10:06 UTC 2002

On Sun, 11 Aug 2002, Rick H Kennerly wrote:

> I do not understand "bargaining chip" in any context other than a commodity
> (money, points of argument, Czechoslovakia, or goods) that is sacrificial
> and used to draw your opponent deeper into the game (incrementally upping
> the ante with each round of bidding when you're holding, say,  three of a
> kind and a pair) but that you are also willing to lose of need be).

I think it's clear from looking at usages of "bargaining chip" and the
less common synonymous term "trading chip" that the essence of a
bargaining chip is that you trade it for something else.  Which doesn't
sound like something from poker.

Fred Shapiro

Associate Librarian for Public Services     YALE DICTIONARY OF QUOTATIONS
  and Lecturer in Legal Research            Yale University Press,