"soda" in Minneapolis

Billionbridges.com translation at BILLIONBRIDGES.COM
Mon Aug 12 03:11:50 UTC 2002

> I wonder if the Coen brothers' take on Minnesotan in
> Fargo, as you mention, was influenced by PHC/Mohr,
> or if they both derive from the same stereotype (which,
> like all stereotypes, is partly grounded in reality but exaggerated
> for effect).  Could be worse.

<amateur opinion/impression>

All exaggeration aside, the characters in "Fargo" sound like nothing
in small-town Minnesota I've ever heard (stops at gas stations, telephone
calls--admittedly not extensive contact) as much as they do Southern
Manitoba Mennonites (six years in Winnipeg, I'm a Russian Mennonite
myself, though from Southern Ontario).  My take on the movie was
that basing it in Minnesota made it caricature, but had the action been
shifted a hundred miles north across the border it would have been
very realistic.

</amateur opinion/impression>

Don
Don Rogalski and Toni Kuo