"Bargaining Chip": Antedating & Mystery

Frank Abate abatefr at EARTHLINK.NET
Mon Aug 12 19:13:25 UTC 2002

Fred S said:

I don't think usages in 2002 or other recent years tell us anything about
the origins of a term that seems to have originated in the 1950s or
earlier.  I cannot emphasize too much that one finds out about etymology
by historical research, not by speculation or conjecture.  To say, for
example, that "bulldike" may come from "bulldog-like" without early
evidence is, to me, not really a contribution to etymological inquiry.

I realize that I am saying that 99% of etymological commentary is
worthless, but that is my viewpoint.

<<

FWIW, I heartily concur with this viewpoint.  I just hit "Del" for all etym
conjectures (and they are many) that appear on ADS-L.  They lead us away
from the "etymon", 99% of the time.

Frank Abate