"Bargaining Chip": Antedating & Mystery

Rick H Kennerly Rick at MOUSEHERDER.COM
Mon Aug 12 23:09:13 UTC 2002

|o| FWIW, I heartily concur with this viewpoint.  I just hit "Del"
|o| for all etym
|o| conjectures (and they are many) that appear on ADS-L.  They lead us away
|o| from the "etymon", 99% of the time.
|o|
|o| Frank Abate
|o|

Must have missed the professional academics only sign when I signed on this
list, Frank (although I'm observant enough to have spotted you're name on
more than a few spines, including two aboard our boat here).  Certainly the
warm feelings of condescension you emanate toward us nonprofessional word
folk go a great way toward explaining why etymology is so well remunerated,
respected, and understood by the general, not to mention the book buying,
public.

Sapphire's getting a little long in the tooth.  Maybe if he drops off the
twig in a timely fashion you can apply to be America's premiere cranky word
snob.  You seem to display a certain easy talent for it.

rhk