"Bargaining Chip": Antedating & Mystery

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Mon Aug 12 23:41:22 UTC 2002

On Mon, 12 Aug 2002, Rick H Kennerly wrote:

> get a feel for the context of its use, but the whole point of the Google
> search was not that it was definitive but that abandoning a popular
> understanding of a phrase of such tender years seems rash.

It's rash if one is a student of popular fallacies, not if one is a
student of accurate etymologies.  I can't believe that Google results
in the year 2002 reflect accurate recollections or some kind of
well-founded folk-memory because some people now alive today were around
when the phrase originated in the early or mid-20th century.  There's also
the evidence of logic: a "bargaining chip" in older or recent usage means
something that you trade with, whereas poker is not a game of trading.

> |o| I realize that I am saying that 99% of etymological commentary is
> |o| worthless, but that is my viewpoint.
> |o|
>
> yet you persist.

I'm not sure of your point here; are you saying that my etymological
commentary is part of the 99%?  If I've accomplished anything in my life,
I've earned the right to be considered part of the 1%.  The 1% is
basically some lexicographers, myself, Barry Popik and a handful of
others.  Some of these handful of others are participants on this list.
It's been a pleasure to see the quality of the postings of people like
John Baker.

Fred Shapiro

Associate Librarian for Public Services     YALE DICTIONARY OF QUOTATIONS
  and Lecturer in Legal Research            Yale University Press,