In defense of etymological speculation

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Tue Aug 13 00:36:48 UTC 2002

On Mon, 12 Aug 2002, Baker, John wrote:

>         Both you and Gerald Cohen produced admirable statements in your
> initial posts, but I think you're overstating your position in this one.
> Far-fetched speculation, yes, rarely has much to commend it, but
> informed speculation (which, one hopes, can be found, in most cases,
> from the members of the American Dialect Society) can give insights and
> serve to direct research.

Since I have such respect for John's thoughtfulness and insight, I will
accept his statement that I may have gone a little overboard in my
postings of today.  This is a subject that I feel very strongly about, and
I know from extensive study of modern etymologies how few of the colorful
or undocumented ones have anything to do with reality.

Now the difference between the 99% and the 1% (actually 1% was a rather
high estimate) comes into play.  Many of the people on this list will
ruminate on what the etymology of "bulldyke" might be, and some will post
further undocumented theories.  And I will look at old books and articles
on homosexuality and lesbianism and, maybe, just maybe, someday I'll find
the real answer.  And a few people will learn of my discovery and
recognize it as a real answer.  I will continue a similar quest with
regard to the origin of "bargaining chip" as well.

Fred Shapiro

Associate Librarian for Public Services     YALE DICTIONARY OF QUOTATIONS
  and Lecturer in Legal Research            Yale University Press,