In defense of etymological speculation

Mark A Mandel mam at THEWORLD.COM
Tue Aug 13 15:01:41 UTC 2002

On Tue, 13 Aug 2002, Alice Faber wrote:

#There may be something phonological going on there also, by which
#unreleased /p/ is interpreted as unreleased or glottalized /t/ (which
#some phonologists treat as the "default" consonant, or obstruent,
#anyway). A few years ago, when I was researching glottal replacement
#of /t/, I tripped over a usenet posting in which the stereotypical
#Down East (Maine) "ayup" (for "yes"), was written "ayut" with a
#description that implied glottal stop--this was in a baseball
#discussion group!).

Is "ayup" often pronounced with a glottal stop FOLLOWED by labial
closure? If so, the [p] would be nearly or totally inaudible.

-- Mark A. Mandel