The Greedy Bunch; Swipers; JERUSALEM NEWS (1919-1920)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed Aug 14 07:05:34 UTC 2002

THE GREEDY BUNCH--This term just now received a big boost with a feature
story in the September 2, 2002 FORTUNE magazine.  It's the story of a girl
named Martha, and she knew that it was much more than a hunch...

SWIPERS--From Monday's NEW YORK POST, 12 August 2002, pg. 7, col. 1:
_COPS ARE_
_SWATTING_
_SUBWAY_
_"SWIPERS"_
  By JAMIE SCHRAM and LARYY CELONA
   Cops are cracking down on a new breed of scammers who are making a killing
by buying unlimited MetroCards and swiping people through turnstiles in
exchange for their tokens or cash.
   Known as "swipers," these criminals purchase multiple Fun Passes, which
are $4 MetroCards that can be used all day every 15 minutes. (...)

JERUSALEM NEWS (1919-1920)--I requested this several months ago, but it was
missing.  Then, I received an NYPL e-mail last Thursday that it was
available.  So, I came on Saturday, and nobody could find it.  The librarian
guy recognized me as the same guy he'd spent hours on Thursday trying to
locate another NYPL annex request.  I came again on Monday, and the JERUSALEM
NEWS still wasn't there, and the librarian who'd e-mailed me was off.  So I
visited the NYPL on Tuesday after work, and "The first daily in Jerusalem
printed in the English language" was finally there.  And, as is often the
case after all that work and wait, it was a dud!  The newspaper (founded by
Elizabeth I. McQueen) wished its readers a "Merry Christmas" and mentioned a
1919 Christmas dinner of "fresh pork, brawn and several kinds of sausage."
The newspaper had many filler items from American newspapers.  Not a
"kibbutz" or a "falafel" to be found!