the list

Bethany K. Dumas dumasb at UTKUX.UTCC.UTK.EDU
Wed Aug 14 16:27:42 UTC 2002

On Wed, 14 Aug 2002, Lynne Murphy wrote:

>> We've talked several times over the past how many years about closing the
>> list to ADS members only.  I think it's time to revisit that discussion.
>> I know of several ADS members who in fact have dropped the list because of
>> "specious crap," not to mention excessive personal handwringing.
>
>Well, a positive effect of that might be that more people would be
>encouraged to pay dues to the ADS.  (I've let it slide, since I've had to
>start joining UK associations as well.  I'd certainly think about
>re-prioritising my membership budget if I thought I might be kicked off
>this list!)

Ah, money! Let's go for it!

Seriously, I have been opposed to closing the list in the past, but the
last few weeks have convinced me that it is probably time to close the
list. Membership in ADS is still, AFAIK, open to any interested
person.

Bethany