"Bargaining Chip": Antedating & Mystery

Michael Quinion TheEditor at WORLDWIDEWORDS.ORG
Wed Aug 14 16:49:33 UTC 2002

> Rick, as an amateur who's been "shot down" here more times than I
> can count (just check the archives!), I'd recommend to you my way
> of thinking about this list: It's an opportunity to hang out with
> well-educated and experienced professionals who are smarter than
> me. It's free daily lessons. It's a bonus education. It's getting a
> peek at that which, in past generations, might only have passed
> between individuals via the postman. In return, I voluntarily put
> in some work keeping the ADS web site in order.

Can't fault that as a description of my own situation. As somebody
who has got a much more from the list than I've ever contributed to
it, I appreciate having being allowed to visit even before I joined
ADS. In truth, I joined ADS mainly as a way to help support this
list.

--
Michael Quinion
Editor, World Wide Words