Peta ("pita" in Palestine, Sept. 1945)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed Aug 14 17:32:14 UTC 2002

   The NYPL has LIFE IN PALESTINE from 1941-1948.  Curiously, I didn't see "falafel" anywhere.  This "pita" is not the earliest I've posted here, but it's worth recording and it's still earlier than OED's 1951.
   From LIFE IN PALESTINE, September 1945, pg. 13, col. 1:

   These nurses advise the mothers on a variety of subjects--from the fact that salve may be more effective for clearing up a scalp disease than a silver good-luck amulet--to the fact that ground rice is easier on baby's digestive system than spiced bologna wrapped in "peta" (the flat oriental bread).