the list

James A. Landau JJJRLandau at AOL.COM
Wed Aug 14 20:56:13 UTC 2002

In a message dated 8/14/02 3:44:43 PM Eastern Daylight Time, dave at WILTON.NET
writes:

> questions prompt members to
>  post their most recent findings. Some, like Fred Shapiro and Barry Popik,
>  dutifully send in regular updates on their research, but many others only
do
>  so when prompted with a question.

Most of the etymology I have perpetrated has been in mathematics and the
physical sciences.  Should I have posted my findings on "acetous acid"?

Not that this kind of etymology does not have its moments that even laypeople
would appreciate.  For example, shudder if you ever see anything circa 1840
attributed to "Sir William Hamilton."   It happens that there were two men by
that name, both active at the same time: Sir William R. Hamilton of Ireland
and Sir William Hamilton bart of Scotland.  I had to go through some material
by both of them in tracking down the word "commutative".

      - Jim Landau
        systems engineer
        FAA Technical Center (ACB-510/BCI)
        Atlantic City Int'l Airport NJ 08405 USA

P.S. Just to liven up the list a little:  what well-known airplane at one
time received the nickname of "The Flying Whore"?