origin and definition of 'analyte'

Lesa Dill lesa.dill at WKU.EDU
Thu Aug 15 06:04:05 UTC 2002

Chemistry and biology frequently use such back formations or word
compounds formed by analogy.  I believe I've frequently heard "analyte"
used in reference to insoluble as well as soluble samples.  Perhaps the
meaning is expanding because of the possibility of scientifically
analyzing anything.  "Analyte" also disallows the implications of
reactant.  "-lyte" seems to be in the list of molecular items like
"-ase," "-on," and "-ant" extrapolated initially from a very specific
word with a clear definition to list of hyponyms stripped of some of
the original denotations.
On Wed, 14 Aug 2002 13:47:56 EDT
 "James A. Landau" <JJJRLandau at AOL.COM> wrote:
> In a message dated 8/14/02 1:26:13 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> AHami93942 at AOL.COM writes:
>
> > The word is, "analyte", as I understand it means something that is
to be
> > analyzed.
>
> At the risk of commiting an etymological speculation, I could point
out the
> obvious analogy with "electrolysis" and "electrolyte" (both words in
MWCD10
> from 1834---I don't have references handy but I think both were
coined by
> Faraday) and with "metabolism" and "metabolite".
>
> MWCD10 also has "lysis" and "lysate" (1922, "a product of lysis")
and "lyse"